This is the last quiz in the series of three quizzes. Previous posts contained a grammar quiz and a punctuation quiz. Today, try your hand at the Word Usage Quiz. The words in this quiz are commonly confused. Scroll down to see the answers. Next week’s posit will talk about when to use each of the words and their partners.
1. (Any one, Anyone) of these dresses would be appropriate for the wedding.
2 They (emigrated, immigrated) to the United States from Italy.
3. Boston is the (capital,capitol) of Massachusetts.
4. The weather really (affects, effects) my mood.
5. I live (farther, further) away from the office than you do.
6. My husband is (disinterested, uninterested) in all sports except baseball.
7. Turn your car (in to, into) the third driveway on the left.
8. Is it (alright, all right) if I borrow your dress for the evening?
9. There are (fewer, less) girls in the class than boys.
10. The tailgate party (precedes, proceeds) the game.
11. (Almost, Most) everyone is ready to go.
12. Please (bring, take) these books back to the library.
13. This blue dress really (complements, compliments) your green eyes.
14. From the look on her face, I (implied, inferred) that she was upset about something.
15. On our way to the movies, we (passed, past) my old coach’s house.
16. He (lead, led) the parade when he was the drum major.
17. Please be (discrete, discreet) when you talk to him tomorrow.
18. Kale is a very (healthful, healthy) food, but I don’t like it.
19. The food at that restaurant tasted (bad, badly).
20 (Lay, lie) that blanket in the sun.
21. My (principal, principle) plan is to leave work early and set up for the surprise party, but I have other plans in case that fails.
22. Can you (lend, loan) me some money until I get paid?
23. He is the (sole, soul) person in the group who isn’t coming with us.
24. I (only) have (only) five dollars to spend at the candy store. Which place is best for “only”?
25. You should come and visit me (some time, sometime).
Here are the answers. Explanations next week.
Here are the answers:
1. Any one
7. in to
8. all right
24. The second choice – only five dollars